A Store Manager, or Shop Manager, is responsible for the overall daily operations of the shop, ensuring efficiency and profitability. Their primary duties include hiring, firing and management of staff. Other main responsibilities are facilitating customer service and meeting sales and financial goals.
- Hiring, training, supervising, and evaluating employees.
- Preparing employee work schedules.
- Addressing employee disputes, questions, and concerns.
- Ensuring all staff adhere to safety standards, company policies, and procedures.
- Managing and accounting for all money-handling procedures.
- Ordering, recording, and managing inventory.
- Ensuring the shop is adequately stocked, clean, and visually appealing.
- Motivating employees to reach sales goals and provide excellent customer service.
- Handling customer complaints.
- High school diploma/GED required.
- Degree in business administration or a related field preferred.
- Previous experience in a management or retail position.
- Strong leadership and management skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Good interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- Basic knowledge of accounting.
- Strong customer focus and decision-making skills.
A retail manager is in charge of supervising a team of sales associates and staff members. They use their knowledge of how the store operates and their background in retail to improve the customer experience, increase sales and resolve challenges.